Our biggest prize of the year!
We are so close to the deadline for our Palette Poetry Prize: $4000 + publication. We can’t wait to read your work!
The winner will be selected by our guest judge, Edward Hirsch:
Edward Hirsch is a celebrated poet and peerless advocate for poetry. He was born in Chicago in 1950—his accent makes it impossible for him to hide his origins—and educated at Grinnell College and the University of Pennsylvania, where he received a Ph.D. in Folklore. His devotion to poetry is lifelong.
He has received numerous awards and fellowships, including a MacArthur Fellowship, a Guggenheim Fellowship, an Ingram Merrill Foundation Award, a Pablo Neruda Presidential Medal of Honor, the Prix de Rome, and an Academy of Arts and Letters Award. In 2008, he was elected a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets.
Edward Hirsch’s first collection of poems received the Delmore Schwartz Memorial Award from New York University and the Lavan Younger Poets Award from the Academy of American Poets. His second collection won the National Book Critics Award. Since then, he has published six additional books of poems and five books of prose, including the ubiquitous The Poets Glossary. He is now president of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation.
Palette’s editors will choose the fifteen finalists, and any honorable mentions they think deserve extra attention. Second and third place will receive $300 and $200, respectively.
- Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—other languages are okay to include, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere (We want to say congrats!)
- There is no page requirement, but submission must be no more than 3 poems. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- We do accept multiple submissions, but each submission will include the reading fee.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history
- Review our FAQ page for frequently asked questions.
- Contest closes on April 15, 2019.