Thank you to all of our submitters this year! Our whole team is incredibly excited to see how you've put poetry and art together. Cannot WAIT to dig in! Please give us 8-10 weeks (around New Years) to find our winners.
The 2020 Brush & Lyre Prize
We are so thrilled to offer poets space to stretch their creativity into new and exciting projects. This unique multimedia contest will accept work that incorporates poetry into new media formats, including but not limited to: music, video, art, photography, sculpture, and performance—use the communication technique that you feel most creatively gets across the experience of your poetry. You choose the creative canvas. $3500 will be awarded and all winners will be published on Palette Poetry.
We will rate the work accordingly: 50% poetic experience, 50% media experience. Each submission must include poetry into the work in some significant way—visually written or audio recorded. Ekphrasis is welcome as well, as long as the art is original.
We're looking to experience poetry in a new way, beyond just black text on a blank page! Experiment and stretch your creative muscles—we are looking forward to working with the winners to turn these projects into the best versions of themselves they can be.
Our editorial team will select the winner of the $3000 top prize, as well as two runner-ups for $300 and $200 respectively. We can't wait to see what you send us!
Josh | Editor, Palette Poetry
- Submissions must include at least one significant multimedia aspect, such as video, photography, sculpture, audio, painting, or performance.
- Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—other languages are okay to include, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
Collaborations are welcome.
The author may appear in the video and/or credits.
A poem that has been published previously may be included into the new work, if the new multimedia aspect is original and unpublished. You must have permission from the previous publisher of the work however, and the poem must be your own or a collaborator's.
- There is no page requirement, but submission must be no more than 2 individual works.
- Please keep any recordings and videos under 8 minutes.
- We do accept multiple submissions, but each submission will include the reading fee.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history
- Review our FAQ page for frequently asked questions.
- Contest closes on October 18, 2020.
- $20 reading fee.