Palette Poetry Prize
Closes August 16, 2020
We are thrilled to offer the Palette Poetry Prize for 2020: $4000 and publication. We are seeking one excellent poem that speaks to what poetry is and can be for our world today. Send us your incandescent heart on the page.
The winner will be selected by our guest judge, the 2019 Pulitzer Prize Winner Forrest Gander.
Palette's editors will choose the ten finalists, and any honorable mentions they think deserve extra attention. Second and third place will receive $300 and $200, respectively.
- Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—other languages are okay to include, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
- We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere (We want to say congrats!).
- There is no page requirement, but submission must be no more than 3 poems. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- We do accept multiple submissions, but each submission will include the reading fee.
- Please include a brief cover letter with your publication history.
- Review our FAQ page for frequently asked questions.
- Contest closes on August 16, 2020.
- Includes a $20 Reading fee.
Always Free. Always Open.
Submissions for our Featured Poetry category are open year round to poets at any stage of their career. Featured Poems are published online only and will spotlight a number of poems from new authors each month. We highly encourage emerging authors to submit.
We are thrilled to offer significant payment to our partner poets: $50 per poem, up to $150. We are proud to be paying for published pieces but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
We also warmly invite under-represented and marginalized voices of all colors to submit. Our aim is to be an accurate representation of the diversity of our beautiful community. Your voice is valued here—and to help do our part in moving forward the needle on equity in publishing, we've opened a special category for historically marginalized voices to send their work directly to our editorial team and to receive a response within two weeks. More info here.
Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—other languages are okay to include, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
Send us only your best. We will be extremely selective.
We accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere. (We want to say congrats!)
All submissions must be no more than 10 pages and no more than 5 poems.
We do not accept multiple submissions. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
Please include a cover letter with your publication history.
Expect 8-12 weeks for a response.
- We also offer two paid options for each submission: Fast Response & Editorial Feedback.
Professional critique, simple and without hassle.
We know how lonely writing can be—often we do it without any real professional support, because the words must come out. At Palette, we'd love to offer folks the opportunity for a little of that professional support, simply and without hassle—thus our editorial services.
Palette Poetry holds first publication rights for three months after publication. Authors agree not to publish, nor authorize or permit the publication of, any part of the material for three months following first publication. For reprints we ask for acknowledgement of its publication in Palette Poetry first.
For questions regarding submissions, please see our FAQ page.