We’re delighted to launch the inaugural Palette Chapbook Prize! Poetry chapbook manuscripts of all styles are welcome—we have no theme or aesthetic preference. The judge this year is Chen Chen.
The winning chapbook will be published and made available digitally in late Summer/Fall 2023.
The contest submission fee is $20. Submissions are open from June 20 — August 21, 2022. The Chapbook Prize is open to all poets writing in English.
Please do not submit if you have a close or personal relationship with the judge, as this would call into question the integrity of the contest.
about our judge
Chen Chen is the author of the forthcoming poetry collection, Your Emergency Contact Has Experienced an Emergency (BOA Editions, 2022) and the forthcoming book of essays, In Cahoots with the Rabbit God (Noemi Press, 2023). His debut book of poems, When I Grow Up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities (BOA Editions, 2017), was longlisted for the National Book Award and won the Thom Gunn Award, among other honors. He teaches for the low-residency MFA programs at New England College and Stonecoast.
the winner will receive
- digital publication
- 50 complimentary physical copies
- $2000 award
royalties on physical copies sold
creative agency for cover art/design and editorial process
please read carefully to ensure your submission will be considered!
- Manuscripts must be submitted via Submittable, our online submissions manager, between June 20, 2022 and August 21, 2022.
- Individual poems may be previously published. However, the manuscript as a whole cannot have been published.
- You may submit multiple manuscripts, but must pay the $20 submission fee for each manuscript you submit.
- Revisions to the manuscript are not permitted after submission to the contest.
- Please include a brief cover letter.
- Do not submit if you have a close or personal relationship with the judge.
- Review our FAQ page for frequently asked questions.
- Contest closes on August 21, 2022.
formatting your manuscript
- Manuscripts must be between 20 to 30 pages, single-spaced, not including the title page, acknowledgments page, or table of contents.
- Each poem should begin on a new page.
- The manuscript should be in a standard size 12 font such as Times New Roman, Arial, or Garamond.
- Manuscripts must be submitted as a PDF or Word doc format only. We highly recommend a PDF, as it will maintain your line breaks, special formatting, etc...
- Do not include your name on any of the pages of the manuscript file. The first page of the manuscript should include the title of the collection only. Contact information goes in your cover letter.
always free. always open.
Submissions for our Featured Poetry category are open year-round to poets at any stage of their careers. Featured poems are published online only and will spotlight a number of poems from new authors each month. We highly encourage emerging authors to submit.
We are thrilled to offer significant payment to our poets: $50 per poem, up to $150. We are proud to be able to pay our artists, but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
We also warmly invite under-represented and marginalized voices to submit. Our aim is to be an accurate representation of the wonderful diversity of our community. Your voice is valued here, so to help do our part in moving forward the needle on equity in publishing, we've opened a special category for historically marginalized voices to send their work directly to our editorial team and receive a response within two to four weeks. More info here.
submission guidelines—please read carefully:
Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—other languages are welcome, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
We accept simultaneous submissions, but please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere—we want to say congrats!
Send up to 5 poems that total no more than 10 pages.
We do NOT accept multiple submissions for Featured Poetry. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
Multiple submissions will be declined unread.
Please include a cover letter with your publication history, if any, and contact information.
- Do NOT include your name or contact information anywhere in your packet of poems or in the title of your submission
Expect 8-12 weeks for a response. Please do not query until 12 weeks have passed.
- We also offer two paid options for each submission: Fast Response & Editorial Feedback.
- Send us only your best. We will be extremely selective.
professional critique, simple and without hassle.
We know how lonely writing can be. More often than not, we write without any real professional or institutional support. The Palette team wants to remedy this by offering folks the opportunity to receive extensive and personalized feedback on a poem of their choice.
Palette Poetry holds first publication rights for three months after publication. Authors agree not to publish, nor authorize or permit the publication of, any part of the material for three months following first publication. For reprints, we ask for acknowledgment of publication in Palette Poetry first.
For questions regarding submissions, please see our FAQ page.