Sappho Prize for Women Poets
We are honored to create this space for women poets to step forward. Thanks to the efforts of the Vida Project and other initiatives, the poetry landscape has made a lot of progress in recent years, but much work is still to be done. Palette is YOURS as much as it is ours, and we want our journal to be an inclusive, welcoming space where women's voices are amplified and offered tangible support.
This contest only accepts submissions from women poets. ALL women are welcome to submit (cis and trans). The winning poet will be awarded $3000 and publication on Palette Poetry. Second and third place will win $300 & $200 respectively, as well as publication. The top ten finalists will be selected by the editors, and guest judge Jos Charles will then select the winner and two runners-up.
Jos Charles is the author of the poetry collections a Year & other poems (Milkweed Editions, 2022), feeld, a Pulitzer-finalist and winner of the 2017 National Poetry Series selected by Fady Joudah (Milkweed Editions, 2018), and Safe Space (Ahsahta Press, 2016). She currently teaches as a part of Randolph College's low-residency MFA program. Charles has an MFA from the University of Arizona and is currently a PhD student at UC Irvine. She resides in Long Beach, CA.
submission guidelines—please read carefully to ensure your submission will be considered!
- for this prize, we are only accepting submissions from women (cis and trans) poets.
- submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—inclusion of other languages is more than welcome, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
- DO NOT INCLUDE your name or identifying information in the document OR submission title. If your name is on the submission, it will be declined unread.
- we are only accepting unpublished work. If your poem has been published on a blog or on social media, it is not eligible.
- we accept simultaneous submissions—just please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere. (We want to say congrats!)
- there is no page requirement, but submission must be no more than 3 poems. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
- we do accept multiple submissions, but each submission will include the $20 reading fee.
- please include a brief cover letter with your publication history, if any.
- Review our FAQ page for frequently asked questions.
- Contest closes on June 19, 2022.
always free. always open.
Submissions for our Featured Poetry category are open year-round to poets at any stage of their careers. Featured poems are published online only and will spotlight a number of poems from new authors each month. We highly encourage emerging authors to submit.
We are thrilled to offer significant payment to our poets: $50 per poem, up to $150. We are proud to be able to pay our artists, but will be highly selective in our choices for publication.
We also warmly invite under-represented and marginalized voices to submit. Our aim is to be an accurate representation of the wonderful diversity of our community. Your voice is valued here, so to help do our part in moving forward the needle on equity in publishing, we've opened a special category for historically marginalized voices to send their work directly to our editorial team and receive a response within two to four weeks. More info here.
submission guidelines—please read carefully:
Submissions are open internationally, to any poet writing in English—other languages are welcome, as long as the meat of the poem is in English.
We accept simultaneous submissions, but please send us a note if your work is picked up elsewhere—we want to say congrats!
Send up to 5 poems that total no more than 10 pages.
We do NOT accept multiple submissions for Featured Poetry. Please submit all your poems in ONE document.
Multiple submissions will be declined unread.
Please include a cover letter with your publication history, if any, and contact information.
- Do NOT include your name or contact information anywhere in your packet of poems or in the title of your submission
Expect 8-12 weeks for a response. Please do not query until 12 weeks have passed.
- We also offer two paid options for each submission: Fast Response & Editorial Feedback.
- Send us only your best. We will be extremely selective.
professional critique, simple and without hassle.
We know how lonely writing can be. More often than not, we write without any real professional or institutional support. The Palette team wants to remedy this by offering folks the opportunity to receive extensive and personalized feedback on a poem of their choice.
Palette Poetry holds first publication rights for three months after publication. Authors agree not to publish, nor authorize or permit the publication of, any part of the material for three months following first publication. For reprints, we ask for acknowledgment of publication in Palette Poetry first.
For questions regarding submissions, please see our FAQ page.